Advocate News


Posted in:

Advocacy Tip: Communicating With Parents About Their Services

Communicating With Parents About Their Services

When children are placed in the Temporary Managing Conservatorship of the State, CPS is required to work with parents and attempt to reunify the children. In order to do so, CPS will provide parents with services to alleviate the issues that brought the children into care. In order for CASA Advocates to provide a recommendation regarding permanency for the children, advocates need to communicate with parents about the services they are required to complete.

Obtaining Information

One of the first steps in providing recommendations on the children’s permanency is to obtain a copy of the Family Plan of Service. The Family Plan of Service should outline all of the tasks and services that the parents will need to complete in order for their children to be returned to their care. Once an advocate is aware of the services the parents need to complete, they can begin talking to them about their progress with those services. Advocates should ask parents if they have been able to start any services, and if so which services they have begun. Advocates can also discuss with parents what other services on the Family Plan of Service they need to engage in.


In addition to speaking with the parents about their services, advocates should also follow up with the service providers. Advocates should make an effort to verify that parents are engaged in their services and ask about their progress. Some of the questions advocates can ask include: how many classes/sessions the parent has attended, whether or not the parent actively participates in the classes/sessions, or if the service provider has seen any improvements. In addition to speaking with service providers, advocates should also follow-up with the caseworker to obtain information about the parent’s progress. The caseworker can provide information regarding any changes in service providers or additional services that may have been added to the Family Plan of Service.

Remember that in order for advocates to obtain information from the service providers, parents will need to sign the Authorization and Release form. Without this form service providers will not be able to provide advocates with information regarding the parents. However, signing the form is completely voluntary and parents are not obligated to do so. If a parent refuses to sign the release form, advocates should still follow up with the caseworker about any services the parent may have completed.

1. What questions should advocates ask the parent’s service providers?

2. True or False. Parents do not have to sign the Authorization and Release form.

3.  Why is it important for advocates to talk to parents about their services?


To receive 1 hour worth of training credit, read the above article and submit answers to the accompanying training questions to Leticia Hernandez at

Advocacy Tip: Communicating With Parents About Their Services